Sunday, April 3, 2011

Triathlon

  A few months ago I asked my kids if they would like to do a triathlon.  They agreed, although I am sure that they had know idea at that time what they had actually agreed to do.   In my mind we had plenty of time to train and prepare.  Well, that time came and went, and except for about a week of bike rides and jogs around the block, there wasn't a lot of preparing.

Saturday was the big day and in case you couldn't tell they were sooooo nervous!  And to be quite honest so was I.



 The race finally began and they were off!  Well, at least Liam was,  he jumped right in, that is why we have a picture of him.  He did great even though he said the swimming was the hardest part and he was sure that he was going to drown.  I don't think that it helped that he figured out before he jumped in that the pool was "3yds and 1ft deep".


There is no picture of McKinna swimming because she had major second thoughts about the whole thing, the moment she was supposed to get in the water.   Anyway, I was dealing with more pressing issues than a photograph at that time.  I think that the video camera may have been running but I don't think any of us want to remember that moment.  Just know that she did finally get in the water, probably only because she was determined to get a medal at the end.

Liam was out of the water and on to his bike.  He said that the bike ride was his favorite part.  I think he may have just been grateful to be on dry ground after what he considered to be his near drowning experience.




McKinna on her bike and I think still not so sure that she was enjoying any of this, and yet still determined to get her medal!




Liam was off and running



and running.  He must have been going so fast that the girl in white couldn't believe her own eyes!



                      Still determined and maybe in shock, McKinna comes running up the hill.


                                  Not giving up, look how she speeds past the speed limit sign!


The end is in sight and she is going for it!



Can you see the difference in their faces from the first picture to the last?



Liam was so excited at the end, the first thing he said to me was "that was so great, can I do it again!"

McKinna wasn't quite as enthused but then she said "sure, I'll do it again 'cause I want another medal!"

I am so proud of them for facing their fears and seeing it through to the end, it was really a great experience.  



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

THis is a huge deal! I am so proud of them. First of all, I had no idea there was such a thing for kids. Secondly, they did all three events beautifully. They are my heroes! Amy, you are hilarious "the girl in white couldn't believe her own eyes"! You kill me. Give those kids a hug for me. They are amazing.

Sarah said...

I kept meaning to ask you last week if your kids were still doing this, and I kept forgetting! As always, your post was hilarious and so entertaining to read. Good job Liam and McKinna! Very impressive.

Rachael said...

GOOD FOR THEM!!!!! How great that they did it! Why is it that it is all about the medal??? Alexis was totally like that...she is still kind of but is also all about getting the snacks and drinks after games!

Just the 2 of Us! said...

Good for them! I'm impressed. Your kids cease to amaze me!